Virginia Insurance Continuing EducationVA Insurance Continuing Ed (CE) Courses
Virginia insurance continuing education requires credit hours be completed every two years per the requirements of the Virginia Bureau of Insurance.
All licensed resident producers with multiple licenses must complete 24 hours of CE every two years, including 3 hours of ethics to fulfill Virginia insurance license renewal requirements.
Agents licensed with a single license are required to complete 16 total hours, including 3 hours of ethics.Virginia Insurance CE Requirements
- Life, Health, and Annuities count as one license for determining the number of required CE hours. Property and Casualty count as one license for determining the number of required CE hours.
- Courses are approved for: life, health, and annuities; property and casualty; ethics; general; and title insurance. Agents must take courses approved for the licenses of insurance in which they agent are licensed.
- If 2 or more licenses are held, agents must complete 24 hours with at least 8 hours in each license type.
- Excess CE credit hours are allowed to carry over to subsequent license renewal periods.
Combine and Save - Finish your Required CE as low as $30.
Choose any 16 credit hour package for just $30 or any 24 credit hour package for just $39.
Pricing shown is for online courses. Physical copies of textbooks may be ordered for an additional fee.
Option 1: under Suggested Courses, will give you 24 hours of credit with one 50 question test.
Option 2: under Suggested Packages has individual tests for each of the listed courses, so the hours can be earned as each test is completed.
Option 3: under Check out our complete course listing, select individual courses you prefer for the number of hours you need.
|Suggested Courses (24 hrs One Test)||Hours||Difficulty|
|Life, Health, Property & Casualty Course (24 hrs)||24||Basic||Popular!|
|Suggested Packages (Individual Course Tests)||Hours||Difficulty|
|Life, Health, Property & Casualty Agent Package
3 Courses: Life Fundamentals, Casualty Fundamentals, Ethics 101
|Life & Health Agent Package
4 Courses: Variable Annuities, Business Disability, Annuity Fundamentals, Ethics 101
|16||Average||Meets Virginia Annuities Requirement|
|Life Agent Package
2 Courses: Life Fundamentals, Ethics 101
|Health Agent Package
2 Courses: Health Fundamentals, Ethics 101
|Property & Casualty Agent Package
3 Courses: Property Fundamentals, Casualty Fundamentals, Insurance Ethics 101
Check out our complete course listing.Hide complete course listing. Go to shopping cart.
|Accident, Health & Disability Insurance Fundamentals||12||Basic|
|Avoiding E&O Claims||4||Basic|
|Business Disability Insurance||5||Average||Popular!|
|Business Life Insurance||5||Average||Popular!|
|Casualty Insurance Fundamentals||9||Basic|
|College Planning and Funding||9||Average|
|Disability Income Insurance||5||Average|
|Ethics.. Handling the Money||8||Basic||Meets Virginia Ethics Requirement|
|Ethical Insurance Practices||5||Basic||Meets Virginia Ethics Requirement|
|Floods and Flood Insurance||5||Basic||Meets NFIP requirement to sell flood insurance.|
|Hedge Fund Basics||4||Basic|
|Homeowners Insurance Valuation||9||Average|
|Insurance Ethics 101||4||Basic||Meets Virginia Ethics Requirement|
|Insurance For Residential Properties||7||Basic|
|Life Insurance Fundamentals||12||Basic|
|Property Insurance Fundamentals||6||Basic|
|Variable Annuities||5||Basic||Meets Virginia Annuities Requirement|
Producers with less than 1 year of licensure at the time of renewal, limited lines producers, and nonresident agents are exempt from Virginia insurance continuing education requirements. Extenuating circumstances will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
Producers at least 65 years old with 20 years of continual licensure are exempt from additional insurance continuing education.
Under federal law, even exempt individuals must take the required LTC course before they can begin selling long term care policies.
Virginia License Renewal Requirements
Time for your Virginia insurance license renewal? It's important to know:
- Multi-license producers: 24 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2 years.
- Single-license producers: 16 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2 years.
- Online, textbook, or classroom courses are acceptable.
- You must pass your course completion examination with a 70% or better.
- Courses cannot be repeated for credit in one renewal period.
- Agents must take courses approved for the lines they are licensed in. If 24 hrs are required, agents must take at least 8 hrs in each license held. General credits will be used to meet license specific requirements but will not count toward Ethics credit.
- Excess credit hours can carry over to the next renewal period, but must be reported in the biennium period in which the course was taken.
After you pass our course, we will send your completion information on to the Virginia Department of Insurance via Sircon.